Here is some of the research we did as a group, facts and figures about the flower industry. We thought they were important and are considering to use them in out infographic poster. I will add the web link’s from where we got our information from with a YouTube video as well.
Facts and figures:
- 19,000 tonnes of flowers are imported from Kenya to the UK.
- 33,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions are produced.
- Carbon is released from fossil fuels used in circulation, fertiliser production, refrigeration and transport, as well as the methane released from binned flowers.
- 90% of cut flowers sold in the UK are imported mostly from Colombia or Kenya.
- Marks & Spencer
- 70% of cut flowers are sold to supermarket.
- The flower industry is bigger than the music industry.
- The UK spends £2.2billion a year on flowers.
- Belgium – pot plants
- Canary Islands – roses, chrysanthemums
- Caribbean – tropicals, foliage
- Chile – carnations, roses
- Colombia – standard + spray carnations, roses
- Denmark – pot plants
- Ecuador – carnations, roses
- Holland – all flowers and pot plants
- India – roses
- Israel – roses, gypsophila, wax flower, anigozanthos, all summer flowers
- Italy – carnations, chrysanthemums, foliage
- Kenya – roses, carnations, spray carnations, statice
- Malta – chrysanthemums, ‘paper white’ narcissi
- Morocco – spray carnations
- South Africa – proteas, strelitizia, roses, exotics
- Spain – carnations, chrysanthemums
- Thailand – orchids
- Turkey – spray carnations
- Venezuela – carnations, roses