So after creating my front cover for the creative review, it was time to start designing the double page spread. I wanted there to be more visual imagery on the double page spread so after looking at my sketches I came up with a layout that had just enough text with the same amount of imagery to balance the composition. On the left hand page I decided that would purely be dedicated to one image that I managed to find on the internet. I have credited and reference from where I have found the image and haven’t said that its my own photo. Image Reference : by kaie w. bird roxyvespa – WordPress.com
As you can see from the image above the photograph takes up the whole of the page (up to the margin). I think the colours in the photograph works well with the white paper and gives the page a sharp and clean look which is what I want to achieve. The next step was to add the tile and imagery on the opposite page.
So with the title, I kept it the same to the font on the front cover and I wanted to have continuity through out the design, however I changed the colour of the text to work the rest of the design. I thought as I hadn’t included the RAF target in the front cover design that I should probably include it the double page spread. I created the RAF target in illustrator and used the same colour scheme which was used on the front cover. I didn’t want the whole radial on the page so I though it might look nice to only show a quarter of the target in the corner where the text can go around it, like in a lesson we did with Tim earlier on in the project.
To get the text to be placed around the target I first needed to make a path around it and change the setting in Text Wrap to the icon with the circle with lines around it (Wrap around object text) .This then allowed the text to move around the image in a circular motion. This made the page look a lot more professional and made the page more readable.
Here is the guides and lines to help with placement and alignment with text and images. This really helped with accuracy and made the page layout process a lot easier. The black boxes are the correct space/ gap in which the lines should have between each other. The purple lines show where the columns are and where the text is placed making me aware and the green boxes are the text boxes in which the text is placed.
The final changes that I made to the double page spread was the layout of the text. Originally it was in one bog text box and smoothly went around the target. However I then discovered that people won’t want to read lot and lots of long lines, so I decided to break it up into two columns and have the text warp the image that way instead. This makes the text more approachable as people will be more willing to read shorter lines as its more aesthetically pleasing and doesn’t look so daunting. I didn’t have the whole of the text wrapping the image as it left singular words and letters on their own not looking good or working with the design. So instead I had one paragraph on its own above the image and the rest of the text in the right hand column which then wrapped the image at the bottom of the page. I think this layout worked better as it looks as if its and introduction to the article and just looks better aesthetically.
Here you can see how I have added the drop cap on the begging letters of the first two paragraphs. First I selected the letter which I wanted to add the drop cap to, then I went to paragraph styles where I was able to change the font style, how many lines it dropped etc. Then I saved as a new style so I could add it to many more letters when I wanted to. Below shows what the end result looked like.
Over all I’m pleased with how my double page spread design has turned out. It looks professional, clean and sharpe which is what I wanted it to look like. I wanted it to be realistic and seem as if it could really be in a creative review. The colour palette I chose went quite well with the theme and layout and you can easily tell what subculture it is about.